Championing Our Community
With 20+ years of experience serving Edmonton, from advocating for families, seniors, schools, and building playgrounds in this Ward, to managing multi-million dollar projects, I am the only candidate with a proven track record of responsibly managing our community’s taxpayer dollars for almost 10 years. You can rest assured, as one of the only candidates who lives in the ward, that I am deeply immersed in the issues that matter most to us. I know how to get critical community services and amenities to the people who need them, and I put people at the centre of every decision. Strong leadership requires trust, accountability, transparency, learning, communication and execution. As a 16 year resident of Ipiikookanipiaohtsi, an entrepreneur, a mom, an immigrant, and a community leader, I will continue championing our community on City Council.
I have a degree from the University of Alberta in Political Science with a specialization in International Relations and Political Economy, and a certificate in Globalization and Governance.
Since moving to Ipiihkoohkanipiaohtsi, I championed numerous community initiatives:
- Securing $1.6 million to help build 3 playgrounds in our community - Alexander Rutherford Playground expansion, MacEwan Park and Monsignor Fee Otterson playground
- Championing the development of the new Edmonton SW Hospital by representing our community at the announcement in 2017
- Advocating and collaborating with EPSB Trustee Nathan Ip towards building new schools as community hubs in the ward, such as Dr. Anne Anderson High School.
- As the President of Heritage Point Community League, bringing local transportation and traffic concerns about the closure of 127th Street during the Anthony Henday construction directly to provincial and city officials on behalf of residents in the community.
- Supporting numerous local community recreation programs for all ages.
- As Program Director of Heritage Point Community League, organizing the first-ever multi-community Heritage Valley Canada Day celebration in Ipiihkoohkanipiaohtsi, all in collaboration with local businesses and organizations to bring communities together in supporting each other.
- As Fundraising Director of Heritage Point Community League, celebrating the work of volunteers and connecting local businesses through events and fundraisers to help support local business, increase collaboration and create a strong sense of belonging with families, seniors, youth and children in our communities.
A trusted representative with a strong fiscal plan for economic diversity.
I have spent much of my time in senior, publicly elected leadership roles, as a community leader, and business owner for over 10 years. I gained the trust of Edmontonians to take their concerns and translate them into actions. Some of my leadership roles have been:
- Successfully co-owned and operated AirChekLab Inc., specializing in compressed Breathing Air Analysis and medical gas testing for oil field and hazardous environments, ensuring workers safety and patient care in healthcare facilities, so you can feel safe knowing that we will always have high quality controls and meticulous management.
- Currently a publicly elected University of Alberta Senator, member of the Executive Committee, co-Chair USchool Fundraising Committee (educational program serving marginalized communities), so you can rest assured knowing that we will find solutions in difficult situations and do so with transparency and accountability to the community.
- District K Representative on the Edmonton Federation of Community Leagues (EFCL) board serving 12 community leagues in our ward for 4 years, so you can feel confident that as your Councillor I have a deep understanding of issues in the ward over the years.
- President of the Heritage Point Community League (HPCL) board for 4 years serving 9 neighbourhoods in our ward, so you trust that we will build a strong, thriving community together.
- Previously the President of the Board of Directors for Alberta Party Political Association where I established strict financial control processes, strategic risk management and good governance province-wide, so you can count on me to protect our interests and responsibly take care of our taxpayer dollars.
- Past Vice-Chair of ParityYEG, a grassroots organization that empowers women to seek leadership positions in public service, so you can be sure that your contributions in our community are valued.
An inclusive leader, taking equity and diversity into action to create a meaningful sense of belonging.
As a young immigrant who moved to Edmonton 29 years ago, I know that a strong sense of belonging has exceptional capacity to transform our lives and our communities.
Great ideas come from various people and places, from our youth to our seniors, from all walks of life.
I believe that a community that values everyone’s lived experiences will translate into a resilient, safer, and more inclusive place for all.
A vision for what can be, a drive to transform Edmonton together.
Building a great city with wonderful communities requires an understanding of the people's everyday work and life experiences. It takes collaboration with businesses, citizens, and all levels of government.
I have a proven track record of leadership and service at the grassroots level. I also have the professional governance experience to implement a practical plan to bring strength, security, safety and caring into our communities.
Community-based leadership is my life’s work. I am running to continue serving with greater reach and impact. If you’d like to help me bring vision to action, consider getting involved here.